Poor oral practice often leads to a series of oral issues such as Periodontal disease (gum disease). Gum disease refers to the infection of the gums and ligaments surrounding the teeth caused by bacteria. Here at Apex Dental, we offer periodontics services to diagnose and treat the periodontal disease to cure and prevent the infection from spreading.
Periodontal disease starts from inflammation of the gums (gingivitis) that occurs due to bacteria which can be prevented by maintaining excellent oral hygiene, but if left untreated, it will progress to a severe case and even tooth loss which will require dental treatment and may lead to surgeries.
Signs and Symptoms of Periodontal Disease
- Persistent bad breath
- Tender, swollen gums
- Red and Bleeding Gums
- Loose teeth
- Pain when chewing and Eating
- Teeth Sensitivity
- Receding Gums
Causes of Periodontal Disease
- Poor Oral Practice. A common cause of gum disease is poor oral hygiene which increases the risk of developing plaques and if harden it will turn into tartar which requires dental attention and treatment to get rid of it.
- Smoking. Smoking causes dry mouth which leads to dehydrated gums. Insufficient saliva production prohibits the mouth to absorb minerals making it prone to bacteria build-up; saliva washes away bacteria in the mouth keeping it clean and mineralized.
- Hormonal Changes. During Menstruation, menopause, and pregnancy the gums are sensitive making it prone to develop gum disease.
- Genes. Though a person is practicing good oral hygiene, it is still possible to develop gum disease if either one or both parents have such a condition. Periodontal disease can be obtained genetically.
Laser Treatment: It is a non-surgical type of method. Laser treatment is ideal since it reduces bleeding and discomfort.
Gum Graft Surgery: It is a procedure where the exposed roots (caused by receding gums) of teeth are covered and helps develop missing tissues. During the process, tissues in the palate or another source will be used to cover the tooth roots.
Dental Crown Lengthening: Swollen gum tissue causes a gummy smile which can be treated by dental crown lengthening procedure. The procedure involves the removal of excess bone and gum tissues to remove swollen gums and reshape the teeth to expose it.
Pocket Reduction: Deep dental pockets is a sign of infection and severe periodontal disease; pocket reduction procedure includes the extraction of tartar to restore oral health.
Regenerative Procedures: The process includes regenerative treatment to restore lost bone and gum tissues.
Root Surface Debridement: This type of treatment requires complete cleaning of the root surface of the teeth to remove unnecessary debris. Debridement process helps in controlling bacterial growth and treat pocket space and underlying tissues.
In preventing gum disease, one should have an excellent oral practice which includes regular brushing, flossing, mouth rinsing, and routine checkup and professional cleaning. It reduces the risk of developing tartar that could harm oral health. Also, the person must avoid bad habits such as smoking and drinking.
Knowing the causes and treatments of the periodontal disease allows the patient to have an idea of what to do if they are experiencing such condition.
If you experience early signs of Periodontal Disease, like your sudden bleeding of gums, bad breath, loss teeth or separate teeth, contact our office at Apex Dental for Periodontal Treatment in Wesley Chapel. Book your appointment now!